Are you mystified by what goes in to keyword research? Don't be. Spend one hour with this guide and be on your way to becoming an SEO superhero.
Of all the aspects of Internet marketing, keyword research remains the most mysterious and least understood. Keyword research can be fairly technical and confusing. It is a blend of art and science.
For years keyword research was largely the domain of search engine optimization (SEO) experts and firms who would engage in a fair amount of on-page tinkering in order to help their companies or clients rank higher in search results.
And why not? It wasn’t until relatively recently that SEOs could game the Google algorithm to obtain better results. But those days are over.
Thanks to recent Google updates, SEO trickery has been rendered all but obsolete. It no longer pays to try and outwit the search engines. In fact, you can now get penalized in your rankings for that approach.
So is keyword research still necessary? Absolutely. Keyword research remains central to getting found online by the right traffic, and it always will.
But rather than being something done after a website is built to gin up more traffic, keyword research should be performed continuously as part of an effective Internet marketing effort. That’s why, to borrow a medical analogy, SEO is now more like internal medicine than plastic surgery.
The changing role of SEO and keyword research is best summarized by Duane Forrester:
"SEO is a marketing function, but it needs to be baked into a product, not slapped on like icing after the cake is baked."
To demystify keyword research, Brian Dean of Backlinko has produced Keyword Research: The Definitive Guide. It is an easy to understand, step by step guide to understanding keyword research that debunks long-held myths about the practice.
The guide is great for newcomers to keyword research as well as seasoned veterans who could use a refresher on the latest tools and approaches.
It is also a great primer if you hire professionals to do keyword research. Spending an hour with this interactive guide will give you an appreciation for the art and science that goes into keyword research. It will also help you to more meaningfully contribute to smarter, more effective keyword research, even if you’re not the one actually doing it.
Keyword Research: The Definitive Guide includes images from the tools it covers to make the directions easy to understand. And it includes links to every tool that it recommends or reviews.
The guide has 7 chapters:
- Introduction – “Keywords are like a compass for your SEO campaigns: they tell you where to go and whether or not you’re making progress.” He also explains why it is a HUGE mistake to begin the process with a keyword research tool like the Google Keyword Planner (GKP). There are a few other very important things that should be done first.
- Google Keyword Planner – “…the SEO Gods have given us an awesome (free) tool that tells us almost all of the information we need to make informed decisions about which keywords are best for our business.” This section covers how to use this gift from the Gods.
- Long Tail Keywords – The problem with GKP: “It gives the exact same keywords to everyone that uses it (including your competitors).” This chapter includes lesser-known keyword research strategies to uncover long tail keywords.
- Commercial Intent – The #1 Keyword research mistake: “Not spending enough time on commercial intent.” It’s better to have a smaller amount of traffic interested in buying, than a torrent of traffic that never will.
- Keyword Competition – Keyword research is no different than warfare in this instance: Pick you battles. If you want keyword real estate that is already taken by competitors and not easily surrendered, go around. You can often find alternate keywords that get lots of search volume and have little to no competition.
- Keyword Research Tools – “If you’re serious about SEO, you should strongly consider investing in a keyword research tool.” The right SEO tool makes keyword research MUCH faster, easier and more effective. The top five keyword research tools are reviewed.
- SEO Content – This is where he shows how “to take that lifeless group of phrases and turn them into living, breathing pieces of content. But not just any content: content designed to rank highly in search engines.”
If you spend one hour with Keyword Research: The Definitive Guide, you’ll be able to cut through the smoke and mirrors of SEO and be on your way to becoming a keyword research superhero!