Brand Bewitchery: How to Wield the Story Cycle System to Craft Spellbinding Stories for Your Brand by Park Howell
Park Howell is a 30+ year veteran of the advertising industry who has guided hundreds of purpose-driven brands and thousands of people who support them to substantial growth.
But everything changed in 2006.
From xvii in the book’s introduction:
In 2006, after 25 years in the branding arts realm and a decade running my own agency, Park&Co, I realized that advertising as we knew it had stopped working. While brands used to own the influence of mass media, technology leveled the playing field. The masses had become the media. They took control of our brand stories and now they own them. So I went in search of an answer. I found an anecdote was the antidote. Brands had to become storymakers by giving their customers the opportunity to become storytellers.
Park now consults, teaches, coaches and speaks internationally helping leaders and communicators rise above the noise of the attention economy and be heard using the power of brand and business storytelling.
And, interesting fact: he once subjected himself and his wife to a Hawaiian timeshare pitch in order to study the seller’s persuasion techniques!
Listen to the Interview:
- Park Howell (website)
- Park Howell (LinkedIn)
- Brand Bewitchery: How to Wield the Story Cycle System to Craft Spellbinding Stories for Your Brand by Park Howell
- Michael Gass – Fueling New Business (website)
- The Writers Journey: Mythic Structure for Writers by Christopher Vogler
- Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion by Robert Cialdini
The Heider-Simmel Illusion (1944)
- The Storytelling Animal: How Stories Make Us Human by Jonathan Gottschall
- Robert McKee Seminars
- Dr. Randy Olson (Wikipedia)
- Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind by Yuval Noah Harari
- Alchemy: The Dark Art and Curious Science of Creating Magic in Brands, Business, and Life by Rory Sutherland (Marketing Book Podcast interview)
- Shoe Dog: A Memoir by the Creator of Nike by Phil Knight
- A Dream About Lightning Bugs: A Life of Music and Cheap Lessons by Ben Folds
Park Howell’s 10-Step Story Cycle (10 Videos)
P.S. – If you have rated and reviewed the podcast on Apple Podcasts, please let me return the favor and mail you some Marketing Book Podcast bookmarks and laptop stickers. Just click here to provide your postal address (I’ll send it anywhere in the world)! ~Douglas Burdett, Host of The Marketing Book Podcast.
Don’t know how to leave an iTunes review? It’s easy – click here for simple instructions.