Content Inc., (2nd ed.): Start a Content-First Business, Build a Massive Audience and Become Radically Successful (With Little to No Money) by Joe Pulizzi
About the Author
Joe Pulizzi is the bestselling author of Content Inc., Killing Marketing and Epic Content Marketing, which was named a “Must-Read Business Book” by Fortune Magazine.
His novel, The Will to Die, was awarded “Best Suspense Book” of 2020 by the National Indie Excellence Awards.
He has founded four companies including digital content news site The Tilt as well as the Content Marketing Institute. In 2014, he received the “Lifetime Achievement Award” by the Content Council.
His podcast series, This Old Marketing with Robert Rose, has millions of downloads from over 150 countries. His Foundation, The Orange Effect, delivers speech therapy and technology services to children in over 35 states.
And, interesting fact – Joe Pulizzi is now one of only two authors in The Marketing Book Podcast 5-timers Club!
About the Book
From one of today’s leading experts in content marketing, Content Inc. is the go-to guide to building a solid small business by establishing a loyal audience before you sell products or services.
Do you create digital content? Well, this is the business model you’ve been looking for…
In Content Inc., Joe Pulizzi provides a lower-risk, more effective way to create a path to success by re-engineering the process that so often leads to failure: You’ll learn how to develop valuable content, build an audience around that content―and then create a product for that audience. Content Inc. walks you through the entire process, showing how to:
- Choose a topic
- Unearth an area where little competition exists (break through the clutter)
- Choose your best channel to build your platform
- Build long-term customer loyalty (an audience)
- Start making money from your content
- Expand your content into multiple channels/platforms
- Sell your content asset or scale it into a successful business
This updated edition includes new and enhanced coverage of platforms like TikTok, Snapchat, and Instagram, a new section about the exit strategy for the model, more practical how-tos, and current examples of companies that have successfully implemented these strategies.
Content Inc. provides an ingenious approach to business based on a profoundly simple concept: Having a singular focus on audience and building a loyal audience directly, provide the best, most nuanced understanding of what products ultimately make the most sense to sell.
Listen to the Interview…
- Content Inc., Second Edition: Start a Content-First Business, Build a Massive Audience and Become Radically Successful (With Little to No Money) by Joe Pulizzi (Amazon)
- Joe Pulizzi (website)
- Joe Pulizzi (LinkedIn)
- Content Marketing Institute
- The Tilt: Digital Content News for Content Entrepreneurs & Creators
- The Orange Effect Foundation
- Tangerine (film)
- Experiences: The 7th Era of Marketing by Robert Rose and Carla Johnson (Marketing Book Podcast interview)
- Integrated Marketing Communications: Putting It Together & Making It Work by Don E. Schultz (1993)
- Scott Galloway
- Doug Kessler (Velocity Partners)
- Cumulative Advantage: How to Build Momentum for your Ideas, Business and Life Against All Odds by Mark Schaefer (Marketing Book Podcast interview)
- Content Chemistry: An Illustrated Handbook for Content Marketing by Andy Crestodina (Marketing Book Podcast interview)
- The Age of Influence: The Power of Influencers to Elevate Your Brand by Neal Schaffer (Marketing Book Podcast interview)
- Jack Reacher (26 book series) by Lee Child
- Matthew Corbett (7 book series) by Robert R. McCammon
- Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert A. Heinlein
Joe Pulizzi’s previous Marketing Book Podcast appearances:
- Epic Content Marketing: How to Tell a Different Story, Break through the Clutter, and Win More Customers by Marketing Less (1/30/2015)
- Content Inc.: How Entrepreneurs Use Content to Build Massive Audiences and Create Radically Successful Businesses (9/11/2015)
- Killing Marketing: How Innovative Businesses Are Turning Marketing Cost Into Profit (9/8/2017)
- The Will to Die: A Novel of Suspense (1/17/2020)
- Authors in Quarantine Getting Cocktails (4/11/2020)
- Authors in Quarantine Getting Cocktails (5/25/2020)
P.S. – If you have rated and reviewed the podcast on Apple Podcasts, please let me return the favor and mail you some Marketing Book Podcast bookmarks and laptop stickers. Just click here to provide your postal address (I’ll send it anywhere in the world)! ~Douglas Burdett, host of The Marketing Book Podcast.
Don’t know how to leave an iTunes review? It’s easy – click here for simple instructions.