Decisions Over Decimals: Striking the Balance between Intuition and Information by Christopher Frank, Paul Magnone, and Oded Netzer
About the Book
Become a confident leader and use data, experience, and intuition to drive your decisions
Agile decision making is imperative as you lead in a data-driven world. Amid streams of data and countless meetings, we make hasty decisions, slow decisions, and often no decisions.
Uniquely bridging theory and practice, Decisions Over Decimals breaks this pattern by uniting data intelligence with human judgment to get to action — a sharp approach the authors refer to as Quantitative Intuition (QI).
QI raises the power of thinking beyond big data without neglecting it and chasing the perfect decision while appreciating that such a thing can never really exist.
Successful decision-makers are fierce interrogators. They square critical thinking with open-mindedness by blending information, intuition, and experience. Balancing these elements is at the heart of Decisions Over Decimals.
This book is not only designed to be read – but frequently referenced – as you face innumerable decision moments.
It is the hands-on manual for confident, accurate decision-making you’ve been looking for; the rare resource that provides a set of pragmatic leadership tools to accelerate:
- Effectively framing the problem for stakeholders
- Synthesizing intelligence from incomplete information
- Delivering decisions that stick
Strike the right balance between information and intuition and lead the smarter way with the real-world guidance found in Decisions Over Decimals.
About the Author
Oded Netzer is the Vice Dean for Research and the Arthur J. Samberg Professor of Business at Columbia Business School, an affiliate of the Columbia Data Science Institute, and an Amazon Scholar.
He is a world-renowned expert in data-driven decision-making and extracting meaningful insights from data.
He holds a Ph.D. in Business and a Masters degree in Statistics from Stanford University.
And, interesting fact – he’s originally from Israel!
(Click above for the Conan O’Brien in Israel video)
Listen to the Interview…
- Decisions Over Decimals: Striking the Balance between Intuition and Information by Christopher Frank, Paul Magnone, and Oded Netzer (Amazon)
- Decisions Over Decimals (book website)
- Oded Netzer (LinkedIn)
- Oded Netzer (Columbia University)
- Arthur Samberg (Wikipedia)
- 100 Tricks to Appear Smart in Meetings: How to Get By Without Even Trying by Sarah Cooper (Marketing Book Podcast interview)
- The Ministry of Common Sense: How to Eliminate Bureaucratic Red Tape, Bad Excuses, and Corporate BS by Martin Lindstrom (Marketing Book Podcast interview)
- The Bezos Blueprint: Communication Secrets of the World’s Greatest Salesman by Carmine Gallo (Marketing Book Podcast interview)
- Abraham Wald (Wikipedia)
- Moneyball: The Art of Winning an Unfair Game by Michael Lewis
- Everybody Lies: Big Data, New Data, and What the Internet Can Tell Us About Who We Really Are by Seth Stephens-Davidowitz
- Magic Words: What To Say To Get Your Way by Jonah Berger (Marketing Book Podcast interview)
- Zora Senat | Chief Commercial Officer at Verisk Marketing Solutions (and Marketing Book Podcast listener)
- V!A Chicago 2023 | The Consumer Insights & Experience Summit, September 18-19, 2023
Click below for details and use code DOUGVIP100 for $100 off registration
P.S. – If you have rated and reviewed the podcast on Apple Podcasts, please let me return the favor and mail you some Marketing Book Podcast bookmarks and laptop stickers. Just click here to provide your postal address (I’ll send it anywhere in the world)! ~Douglas Burdett, host of The Marketing Book Podcast.
Don’t know how to leave an iTunes review? It’s easy – click here for simple instructions