From Impressed to Obsessed: 12 Principles for Turning Customers and Employees into Lifelong Fans by Jon Picoult
About the Book
If you’re aspiring to satisfy your customers, then you’re aspiring to mediocrity.
That’s the fascinating premise of From Impressed to Obsessed, a book that will fundamentally change how you think about creating a successful, beloved business.
Acclaimed customer experience expert Jon Picoult explains why building customer loyalty requires leaving indelible positive impressions on everyone you work with―not just shaping their experiences, but also shaping their memories.
Picoult explores the cognitive science behind great customer experiences, pinpointing the breakthrough, psychology-based strategies that both industry leaders (like Apple, Disney, and Southwest Airlines), as well as fast-growing startups (like BILT and Framebridge), use to shape people’s perceptions and sculpt unforgettable impressions―thereby turning more sales prospects into customers, and more customers into obsessed brand ambassadors.
Packed with intriguing case studies, engaging stories, and eye-opening research, the book details these proven principles and illustrates how they can be applied to almost any type of business or customer. Examples include cases that show how to:
- Create Peaks & Avoid Valleys―leverage the science of memory to etch positive impressions in people’s minds, by creating greater experiential peaks and fewer experiential valleys.
- Give the Perception of Control―the almost magical power of giving customers a sense of agency, via choice and expectation-setting, causing them to feel better about the experience a business is already delivering.
- Make It Effortless―make interactions easy for customers, not just from a physical perspective, but also from a cognitive one, to satisfy today’s demand for simplicity and convenience.
- Stir Emotion―harness the power of emotion as a memory cue, by infusing customer experiences with emotional resonance, highlighting positive feelings while stemming negative ones.
No matter what kind of constituency you serve―customers or colleagues, individuals or institutions, employees or employment candidates―this book will help you do it with distinction. Picoult’s message is particularly relevant for managers, as he shows the parallels between how great companies cultivate engagement with customers, and how great leaders accomplish the same with their workforce.
From Impressed to Obsessed reveals the what, the why, and― most importantly―the how behind great customer experiences. Filled with actionable insights, the book provides an invaluable roadmap for becoming the company that everyone wants to do business with, the employer everyone wants to work for, and the leader everyone wants to follow.
About the Author
Jon Picoult is the founder of Watermark Consulting and a leading expert in customer and employee experience.
Jon has been featured by dozens of media outlets, including The Wall Street Journal, the New York Times, NBC News, and Forbes.
He has advised C-Suite leaders at some of the world’s foremost brands, helping companies capitalize on the power of loyalty – both in the marketplace and in the workplace.
Jon earned his bachelor’s degree in Cognitive Science at Princeton and holds an M.B.A. from Duke.
And, interesting fact – his introduction to the business world was working at his campus radio station!
Listen to the Interview…
- From Impressed to Obsessed: 12 Principles for Turning Customers and Employees into Lifelong Fans by Jon Picoult (Amazon)
- From Impressed to Obsessed (book website with bonus materials)
- Jon Picoult (Watermark Consulting)
- Jon Picoult (LinkedIn)
- Jon Picoult (Twitter)
- Matt Lyles (the SIMPLE brand podcast)
- Can You Hear Me?: How to Connect with People in a Virtual World by Nick Morgan (Marketing Book Podcast interview)
- Marketing to the Entitled Consumer: How to Turn Unreasonable Expectations into Lasting Relationships by Dave Frankland, Nick Worth and Josh Bernoff (Marketing Book Podcast interview)
- X: The Experience When Business Meets Design by Brian Solis (Marketing Book Podcast interview)
- Small Data: The Tiny Clues That Uncover Huge Trends by Martin Lindstrom (Marketing Book Podcast interview)
- The Gobbledygook Manifesto by David Meerman Scott
- Black Goldfish: 10 Keys to Creating a Differentiated Experience by Stan Phelps (Marketing Book Podcast interview)
- The Loyalty Effect: The Hidden Force Behind Growth, Profits, and Lasting Value by Frederick F. Reichheld (1996)
- The Experience Economy: Competing for Customer Time, Attention, and Money by Joseph Pine and James Gilmore (Marketing Book Podcast interview)
- Winning on Purpose: The Unbeatable Strategy of Loving Customers by Frederick F. Reichheld
P.S. – If you have rated and reviewed the podcast on Apple Podcasts, please let me return the favor and mail you some Marketing Book Podcast bookmarks and laptop stickers. Just click here to provide your postal address (I’ll send it anywhere in the world)! ~Douglas Burdett, host of The Marketing Book Podcast.
Don’t know how to leave an iTunes review? It’s easy – click here for simple instructions.