Overdeliver: Build a Business for a Lifetime Playing the Long Game in Direct Response Marketing by Brian Kurtz
About the Book
Brian Kurtz is the bridge connecting the bedrock fundamentals of direct response marketing to today’s state-of-the-art strategies, tactics, and channels.
Overdeliver distills his expertise from working in the trenches over almost four decades to help readers build a business that maximizes both revenue and relationships.
Marketing isn’t everything, according to Brian Kurtz.
It’s the only thing.
If you have a vision or a mission in life, why not share it with millions instead of dozens?
And while you are sharing it with as many people as possible and creating maximum impact, why not measure everything and make all of your marketing accountable?
That’s what this book is all about.
In the world of direct marketing, Brian Kurtz has seen it all and done it all over almost four decades. And he lives by the philosophy, “Those who did it have a responsibility to teach it.” Here’s a small sample of what you’ll learn:
- The 4 Pillars of Being Extraordinary
- The 5 Principles of why “Original Source” matters
- The 7 Characteristics that are present in every world-class copywriter
- Multiple ways to track the metrics that matter in every campaign and every medium, online and offline
- Why customer service and fulfillment are marketing functions
- That the most important capital you own has nothing to do with money
- And much more
Whether you’re new to marketing or a seasoned pro, this book gives you a crystal-clear road map to grow your business, make more money, maximize your impact in your market, and love what you’re doing while you’re doing it.
Kurtz takes you inside the craft to help you use all the tools at your disposal–from the intricate relationship between lists, offers, and copy, to continuity and creating lifetime value, to the critical importance of multichannel marketing, and more–so you can succeed wildly, exceed all your expectations, and overdeliver every time.
About the Author
Brian Kurtz has been a direct marketer for over 40 years and never met a medium he didn’t like…and while he’s had much success, he admits that trying to sell subscriptions and books on the back of ATM receipts and under yogurt lids was only “a good idea at the time…”
For over 34 years at Boardroom Inc., he was responsible for mailing nearly 2 billion pieces of direct mail (and he did NOT lick every stamp!). He was also responsible for the distribution of millions of other impressions and promotions in a wide variety of alternate media, both offline and online, using the latest direct marketing techniques while working with many legendary copywriters and consultants.
Under Brian’s marketing leadership during his tenure at Boardroom, revenues went from approximately $5 million to over $150 million.
Today he consults and works with direct response marketing companies and entrepreneurs directly and through his mastermind groups.
Brian is also the co-author with Craig Simpson of The Advertising Solution: Influence Prospects, Multiply Sales, and Promote Your Brand.
And, interesting fact – he is a Little League baseball umpire!
Listen to the Interview…
- Overdeliver: Build a Business for a Lifetime Playing the Long Game in Direct Response Marketing by Brian Kurtz (Amazon)
- Overdeliver (book website)
- Overdeliver (book bonus downloads)
- Brian Kurtz (website)
- Brian Kurtz (LinkedIn)
- The Advertising Solution: Influence Prospects, Multiply Sales, and Promote Your Brand by Craig Simpson and Brian Kurtz
- Dare to Prepare: How to Win Before You Begin by Ron Shapiro
- David Baer (LinkedIn)
- The Sticking Point Solution: 9 Ways to Move Your Business from Stagnation to Stunning Growth in Tough Economic Times by Jay Abraham (Marketing Book Podcast interview)
- Getting Everything You Can Out of All You’ve Got: 21 Ways You Can Out-Think, Out-Perform, and Out-Earn the Competition by Jay Abraham
- Give and Take: Why Helping Others Drives Our Success by Adam Grant
- In Memoriam: Martin Edelston, 1929-2013
- 80/20 Sales and Marketing: The Definitive Guide to Working Less and Making More by Perry Marshall (Marketing Book Podcast interview)
- The Customer-Base Audit: The First Step on the Journey to Customer Centricity by Peter Fader, Bruce Hardie and Michael Ross (Marketing Book Podcast interview)
- Scientific Advertising by Claude Hopkins (1923) with Jay Abraham (Marketing Book Podcast interview)
- Breakthrough Advertising by Eugene M. Schwartz
- Outliers: The Story of Success by Malcolm Gladwell
- Guthy-Renker (Wikipedia)
- Triggers: 30 Sales Tools you can use to Control the Mind of your Prospect to Motivate, Influence and Persuade by Joe Sugarman
- Great Leads: The Six Easiest Ways to Start Any Sales Message by Michael Masterson and John Forde
- What’s in It for Them?: 9 Genius Networking Principles to Get What You Want by Helping Others Get What They Want by Joe Polish
Perry Marshall – Maze 2.0 Crash Course
P.S. – If you have rated and reviewed the podcast on Apple Podcasts, please let me return the favor and mail you some Marketing Book Podcast bookmarks and laptop stickers. Just click here to provide your postal address (I’ll send it anywhere in the world)! ~Douglas Burdett, host of The Marketing Book Podcast.
Don’t know how to leave an iTunes review? It’s easy – click here for simple instructions