Renegade Marketing: 12 Steps to Building Unbeatable B2B Brands by Drew Neisser
About the Book
Marketing has become ridiculously complicated, but yours doesn’t have to be.
With decades of hands-on experience, expert strategist and writer Drew Neisser has witnessed the dramatic evolution of business-to-business marketing.
Working alongside giant brands like IBM, as well as start-ups and midsize companies, and interviewing over four hundred top practitioners, Neisser uncovered the top four characteristics that all successful marketers have in common: they are Courageous, Artful, Thoughtful, and Scientific (CATS).
These four characteristics form the basis for the framework in Renegade Marketing. Over the years, Neisser created a twelve-step formula to radically simplify B2B marketing and build an unbeatable brand. In his book, he shares the stories of marketing CATS as he gives you the tools to:
- Walk through a highly refined discovery process that culminates in finding your brand’s purpose
- Define your company’s purpose in eight words or fewer
- Build team support for new marketing initiatives while establishing your unique brand story, voice, and design
- Assemble effective marketing plans that engage employees, inspire customers, and attract new business
- Drive perpetual growth by creating a culture with metrics, marketing technology, and experimentation
About the Author
Drew Neisser is the founder of Renegade, a strategic boutique for B2B innovators, and CMO Huddles, a membership organization exclusively for B2B CMOs. He’s also the host of Renegade Marketers Unite.
Ranked among the top B2B influencers, Drew has been a featured marketing expert on ABC News, CNBC, CBS Radio, and Tony Robbins’s podcast, among many others. Besides his long-running Ad Age magazine column, he’s contributed articles to FastCompany, Forbes, MediaPost, and CMO.com.
Drew’s first book, The CMO’s Periodic Table: A Renegade’s Guide to Marketing, published in 2015, features interviews with sixty-four marketing leaders at top brands, including American Express, Dow, IBM, and SAP.
Drew started his advertising career at Wells Rich Greene, and later moved to J. Walter Thompson, and Chiat/Day, and then founded the agency that became Renegade in 1993.
And, interesting fact – he’s obsessed with (and a bit of an expert) on American founding father Benjamin Franklin!
Listen to the Interview…
- Renegade Marketing: 12 Steps to Building Unbeatable B2B Brands by Drew Neisser (Amazon)
- Renegade Marketing (book website)
- Renegade Marketing (agency site)
- The Long Game: How to Be a Long-Term Thinker in a Short-Term World by Dorie Clark (Marketing Book Podcast interview)
- Positioning for Advantage: Techniques and Strategies to Grow Brand Value by Kimberly A. Whitler, Ph.D. (Marketing Book Podcast interview)
- Mean People Suck: How Empathy Leads to Bigger Profits and a Better Life by Michael Brenner (Marketing Book Podcast interview)
- Top of Mind: Use Content to Unleash Your Influence and Engage Those Who Matter To You by John Hall (Marketing Book Podcast interview)
- The Hype Handbook: 12 Indispensable Success Secrets From the World’s Greatest Propagandists, Self-Promoters, Cult Leaders, Mischief Makers, and Boundary Breakers by Michael F. Schein (Marketing Book Podcast interview)
- The Challenger Customer: Selling to the Hidden Influencer Who Can Multiply Your Results by Brent Adamson, Matthew Dixon, Pat Spenner, and Nick Toman (Marketing Book Podcast interview)
- Advertising for Skeptics by Bob Hoffman (Marketing Book Podcast interview)
- The 12 Powers of a Marketing Leader: How to Succeed by Building Customer and Company Value by Thomas Barta and Patrick Barwise (Marketing Book Podcast interview)
- The Business of Expertise: How Entrepreneurial Experts Convert Insight to Impact + Wealth by David C. Baker (Marketing Book Podcast interview)
- Myths of Marketing: Banish the Misconceptions and Become a Great Marketer by Grant Leboff (Marketing Book Podcast interview)
- Rise of the Revenue Marketer by Debbie Qaqish (Marketing Book Podcast interview)
- Talk Triggers: The Complete Guide to Creating Customers with Word of Mouth by Jay Baer & Daniel Lemin (Marketing Book Podcast interview)
- Hug Your Haters: How to Embrace Complaints and Keep Your Customers by Jay Baer (Marketing Book Podcast interview)
- Youtility: Why Smart Marketing Is About Help Not Hype by Jay Baer (Marketing Book Podcast interview)
- Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin
- Lincoln on Leadership: Executive Strategies for Tough Times by Donald T. Phillips
- The New Joys of Yiddish by Leo Rosten
- Nuts!: Southwest Airlines’ Crazy Recipe for Business and Personal Success by Kevin and Jackie Freiberg
- How Not to Suck At Marketing by Jeff Perkins
- RE:Think Innovation: How the World’s Most Prolific Innovators Come Up with Great Ideas that Deliver Extraordinary Outcomes by Carla Johnson (Marketing Book Podcast interview)
P.S. – If you have rated and reviewed the podcast on Apple Podcasts, please let me return the favor and mail you some Marketing Book Podcast bookmarks and laptop stickers. Just click here to provide your postal address (I’ll send it anywhere in the world)! ~Douglas Burdett, host of The Marketing Book Podcast.
Don’t know how to leave an iTunes review? It’s easy – click here for simple instructions.