Selling Your Expertise: The Mindset, Strategies, and Tactics of Successful Rainmakers by Robert Chen
About the Book
How do rainmakers consistently and continuously sell their ideas and grow their client base? What is the secret to their ongoing success?
Whether they are in accounting, consulting, investment banking, law, or any other type of professional service, it’s not just their knowledge, experience, and unique services that set them apart.
They succeed by adopting the mindset, mastering the strategies, and employing the tactics at the heart of rainmaking.
In Selling Your Expertise: The Mindset, Strategies, and Tactics of Successful Rainmakers, veteran communications, sales, and leadership consultant Robert Chen provides a practical guide to selling knowledge-based services in a market that demands credibility and subject-matter authority.
Chen and his colleagues at Exec|Comm have helped hundreds of thousands of professionals learn to sell, influence, and negotiate more effectively. This book condenses Chen’s first-hand experience and over 40 years of Exec|Comm’s best sales advice, along with interviews featuring other successful rainmakers from a variety of professions and industries.
Whether you’re a national practice partner at a Big Four consulting firm or an independent attorney just starting out, this book equips you with the real-life knowledge you need to:
- Develop a client-focused mindset to help build a thriving book of business
- Use effective strategies to find your ideal prospects and turn them into long-term clients, using concrete metrics to assess whether you’re on the right track
- Apply practical tactics to build a trusted reputation, sharpen communication skills, manage the challenges of not having enough time to sell, and push beyond obstacles
The perfect book for consultants, investment bankers, lawyers, research analysts, and accountants, Selling Your Expertise is an invaluable resource for any professional who makes a living by selling solutions to their clients’ most pressing needs.
About the Author
Robert Chen is a Partner at Exec|Comm LLC, a global skills-based training consultancy where he leads the firm’s business development and sales efforts.
In addition to his corporate client work, Robert teaches Advanced Persuasion and Storytelling at the Wharton School for their MBA and Executive MBA programs.
Robert founded Embrace Possibility, a digital media site focused on helping people reach their full potential. In 2013, Robert published his book on goal setting and success, The Dreams to Reality Fieldbook: A Step-by-Step Guide to Get What You Want.
He has shared his perspective on business development, strategic career management, and professional development in numerous articles for Fast Company, Business Insider, and Training Magazine.
Robert holds an MBA from Wharton and double majored in Chemistry and Economics at Cornell University.
And, interesting facts – he has lived in China and Japan, visited the seven continents, got his start in the business world as a student selling Cutco knives and his LinkedIn bio mentions that he is a semi-cool dad at home.
Listen to the Interview…
- Selling Your Expertise: The Mindset, Strategies, and Tactics of Successful Rainmakers by Robert Chen (Amazon)
- Selling Your Expertise (book website)
- Robert Chen (website)
- Robert Chen (Exec|Comm)
- Robert Chen (LinkedIn)
- Embrace Possibility
- Giftology: The Art and Science of Using Gifts to Cut Through the Noise, Increase Referrals, and Strengthen Retention by John Ruhlin (Marketing Book Podcast interview)
- Black Goldfish: 10 Keys to Creating a Differentiated Experience by Stan Phelps (Marketing Book Podcast interview)
- William Nixon (Intellectual Property Attorney)
- The Customer Centricity Playbook: Implement a Winning Strategy Driven by Customer Lifetime Value by Peter Fader and Sarah Toms (Marketing Book Podcast interview)
- The Perfect Close: The Secret To Closing Sales by James Muir (Marketing Book Podcast interview)
- From Impressed to Obsessed: 12 Principles for Turning Customers and Employees into Lifelong Fans by Jon Picoult (Marketing Book Podcast interview)
- Never Split the Difference: Negotiating As If Your Life Depended On It by Chris Voss
- The Power of Moments by Dan and Chip Heath
- New Sales. Simplified.: The Essential Handbook for Prospecting and New Business Development by Mike Weinberg (Marketing Book Podcast interview)
- Fanatical Prospecting: The Ultimate Guide to Opening Sales Conversations and Filling the Pipeline by Leveraging Social Selling, Telephone, Email, Text, and Cold Calling by Jeb Blount (Marketing Book Podcast interview)
- Marketing Flexology: How to Outsmart Change and Future-Proof Your Career by Engelina Jaspers (Marketing Book Podcast interview)
- Principles: Life and Work by Ray Dalio
- What Color Is Your Parachute? 2022: Your Guide to a Lifetime of Meaningful Work and Career Success by Richard N. Bolles
- You’re Not Listening: What You’re Missing and Why It Matters by Kate Murphy
- Influence Is Your Superpower: The Science of Winning Hearts, Sparking Change, and Making Good Things Happen by Zoe Chance (Marketing Book Podcast interview)
- Traction: How Any Startup Can Achieve Explosive Customer Growth by Gabriel Weinberg and Justin Mares (Marketing Book Podcast interview)
- Book/Course Recommendations and Insightful Quotes from Robert Chen
P.S. – If you have rated and reviewed the podcast on Apple Podcasts, please let me return the favor and mail you some Marketing Book Podcast bookmarks and laptop stickers. Just click here to provide your postal address (I’ll send it anywhere in the world)! ~Douglas Burdett, host of The Marketing Book Podcast.
Don’t know how to leave an iTunes review? It’s easy – click here for simple instructions.