Welcome to the Funnel: Proven Tactics to Turn Your Social Media and Content Marketing up to 11 by Jason Miller
Jason Miller leads global content and social initiatives for LinkedIn Marketing Solutions helping marketers understand how to use LinkedIn to achieve their marketing goals.
Previously he was the senior manager of social media strategy at Marketo and was responsible for leading the company’s content and social media efforts.
Before entering the B2B space, he spent ten years at Sony developing and executing marketing campaigns around the biggest names in music.
When he is not being an award-winning marketing rockstar, he is winning awards as a concert photographer, singing 80’ s metal karaoke, and winning at Seinfeld trivia – not that there’s anything wrong with that.
Jason is also a frequent contributor to Content Marketing Institute, Social Media Examiner, Marketing Profs, Copyblogger, and he has presented at numerous industry conferences.
The Host’s Perspective:
In case you didn’t notice, the book title includes references to Guns N’ Roses AND Spinal Tap. Jason Miller has a background in rock and roll, having played in hair metal bands and working in the music industry, and being a rock and roll concert photographer. He has also worked at marketing automation software giant Marketo and now works in marketing at LinkedIn.
He describes his book as “Everything I have learned over the past 4-5 years pulled together with my passion for rock ‘n’ roll.” It’s an excellent book, and not just because Ann Handley wrote the forward to it.
It’s packed with practical tips and I don’t think he recommends any content marketing or social media tactics that he hasn’t already tried and tested himself.
Like a great album, he divides the book into sides: side one is about content marketing and side two is about social media.
The book also has a lot of great career advice for anyone who is in marketing and needs to evolve their skills as well as anyone starting out in marketing or thinking about going into that field.
I really enjoyed reading “Welcome to The Funnel” and I bet you will too.
Listen to the interview:
Welcome to the Jungle by Guns N’ Roses
Welcome to the Jungle by Richard Cheese
16 Best Marketing Blogs by Jason Miller:
1. http://moz.com/blog/ – For all things SEO and beyond, Whiteboard Fridays are a MUST watch. Rand Fishkin is a genius.
2. http://www.copyblogger.com/blog/ – The smartest folks in the world on how to tie everything together; SEO, Social, Content, and more. Brilliant stuff.
3. http://www.annhandley.com/ – Chief Content Officer at Marketing Profs and author of Everybody Writes, Ann is the queen of content marketing and storytelling for business.
4. http://contentmarketinginstitute.com/blog/ – It’s an institute dedicated to content marketing founded by the Godfather of content Mr. Joe Pulizzi. Enough said.
5. http://www.toprankblog.com/ – A little bit of everything; a whole lotta’ awesome.
6. http://www.convinceandconvert.com/blog/ – Daily goodness from Jay Baer and company.
7. http://www.briansolis.com/ – Insights from one of the most forward-thinking marketers on the planet.
8. http://sethgodin.typepad.com/ – The man, the legend, essential daily reading for all marketers.
9. http://www.socialmediaexaminer.com/ – A full lesson in social media marketing every single day.
10. https://www.marketingtechblog.com/ – Bleeding-edge marketing from Doug Karr and company.
11. http://www.funnelholic.com/ – Craig Rosenberg might actually be the real “most interesting man in the world.” Fantastic insights around the intersection of all things content marketing, social media, and sales and marketing.
12. http://chrisbrogan.com/blog/ – Incredibly inspiring posts on marketing and most recently Brogan’s remarkable journey to becoming both mentally and physically fit. Real world marketing advice from a guy who tells it like it is.
13. http://www.internetmarketingninjas.com/blog/ – This is one of those hidden gem blogs that is super helpful around SEO, content and social media. Ann Smarty is one of the contributors and she is brilliant.
14. http://www.b2bmarketinginsider.com/ – Newscred’s VP of Content Michael Brenner delivers fantastic B2B marketing content each and every week.
15. http://www.heinzmarketing.com/matt-on-marketing/blog/ – Matt is the master of aligning sales and marketing and shares tips, tricks, strategies and tactics for doing so efficiently.
16. http://heidicohen.com/ – Heidi’s posts are incredibly detailed. It’s sort of like getting a full marketing lesson in a condensed format for the very busy marketer. Fantastic insights from a super smart marketer.
Adland by James P. Othmer
Ignore Everybody by Hugh MacLeod
The Creative Process Illustrated by W. Glenn Griffin and Deborah Morrison
Jason’s Twitter (@JasonMillerCA)
Rock N’ Roll Cocktail (Jason’s Rock N’ Roll Site)
Jason Miller and Douglas Burdett at the MarketingProfs B2B Forum in Boston, Massachusetts