B2B companies who blog are able to increase awareness, credibility, search engine rankings and leads – all while linking marketing efforts back to business goals.
The Content Marketing Institute (CMI) describes blogs this way:
What is a ‘Blog’? Shorthand for “Weblog,” a blog offers an easy way to present brief chunks of frequently refreshed Web content. Backed with easy-to-use technologies for syndication (e.g., RSS), comments and trackbacks, blogs are often the blazing centers of social media solar systems that can incorporate sophisticated SEO strategies and community-building campaigns.
Company use of blogs is on the rise. According to CMI, blogging is the 3rd most common content marketing activity, surpassed only by social media and articles.
In terms of blogging by company size, 68% of companies with 10-99 employees maintain a blog, while only 55% of the largest companies employ this tactic.
In an eBook on blogging by CMI, the benefits of blogging are outlined. Here’s my summary of the 12 reasons a blog is the #1 marketing tactic for B2B marketers:
- Blogs are inexpensive, easy to use and can be updated quickly.
- YOU own the blog, as opposed to other third-party and social media outposts like Facebook. And the blog can be integrated into your website, or even serve in lieu of a website.
- Blogs provide a branded context for your content. You can extend your brand without paying for third-party media.
- Blogs convey a personality with a unique voice and the opportunity to write in a conversational tone that makes your company appear “human”.
- Blogs improve search engine rankings via keyword-rich content, fresh content and additional indexed pages.
- Blogs are a 24/7 communication platform where you can quickly publish favorable content about your company or respond to evolving issues.
- Blogs support an array of media formats and simplify the uploading and management of text, photographs, graphics, videos, audio, presentations and PDFs.
- Blogs facilitate content distribution through multiple channels such as social media, RSS feeds and email newsletters.
- Blogs supply content for social media campaigns. Content is the fire, social media is the gasoline.
- Blogs provide a targeted location to direct prospects, customers and the public via a URL or QR code with specific information.
- Blogs are flexible and can help companies achieve a variety of corporate goals, such as providing product-related content, answering customer questions, attracting new prospects and hosting an executive platform.
- Blogs provide metrics that you can use to track marketing back to business goals.
Click here to download a copy of CMI’s “Ultimate Guide to Blogging” or view the SlideShare below.