Activate Brand Purpose: How to Harness the Power of Movements to Transform Your Company by Scott Goodson and Chip Walker
About the Author
Chip Walker, based in New York, is the head of strategy and a partner at StrawberryFrog. Recognized for his expertise in brand creation and re-invention, he has led the charge in transforming brands such as Goldman Sachs, Lexus, Bank of America, Jim Beam, and Heineken.
He is a frequent speaker at some of the branding world’s major events, and his writings and opinions have appeared widely in places like Adweek, Chicago Tribune. and CNBC.
And, interesting fact – he is originally from Alabama!
About the Book
The greatest challenge facing leaders is activating and actioning purpose-based brands to the people who matter inside the company and out.
Recent statistics prove that more than 87% of consumers would purchase a product because a company advocated for an issue they cared about, and more than two-thirds would refuse to do so if the company supported an issue contrary to their beliefs.
We live in an age of activism – the conscious consumer is more socially aware than ever before, and this is reflected in their buying habits. Yet, activism on behalf of brands is lagging.
While many claim to be ‘purpose driven’, far too often this purpose is relegated to a plaque above the CEO’s desk, and never goes any further. Or, worse, the ‘purpose’ is transparently used as a marketing ploy, but never acted upon in any real way.
Activate Brand Purpose shows readers how to transform their brand’s purpose into meaningful action by sparking a company-wide cultural movement, beginning internally and permeating externally.
Regardless of whether your purpose is lofty and socially conscious, or all business, focus on galvanizing people, and they will respond if you can prove that you care about that purpose and that you’re working to realize it, rather than simply chasing the next dollar. This book contains a clearly explained, proven framework that will make this happen.
Listen to the Interview…
- Activate Brand Purpose: How to Harness the Power of Movements to Transform Your Company by Scott Goodson and Chip Walker
- Chip Walker (website)
- Chip Walker (LinkedIn)
- Activate Brand Purpose (book website)
- Strawberry Frog (agency site)
- Purpose Power Index – Largest study ever measuring perceptions of brand purpose, based on more than 17,500 individual ratings among over 7,500 U.S. consumers, and encompassing more than 200 different brands.
- Chief Customer Officer 2.0: How to Build Your Customer-Driven Growth Engine by Jeanne Bliss (Marketing Book Podcast interview)
- How Customers Think: Essential Insights into the Mind of the Market by Gerald Zaltman
- The Strategy of Desire by Ernest Dichter
- The Long Game: How to Be a Long-Term Thinker in a Short-Term World by Dorie Clark
- To Be Honest: Lead with the Power of Truth, Justice and Purpose by Ron Carucci
P.S. – If you have rated and reviewed the podcast on Apple Podcasts, please let me return the favor and mail you some Marketing Book Podcast bookmarks and laptop stickers. Just click here to provide your postal address (I’ll send it anywhere in the world)! ~Douglas Burdett, Host of The Marketing Book Podcast.
Don’t know how to leave an iTunes review? It’s easy – click here for simple instructions.