The Hype Handbook: 12 Indispensable Success Secrets From the World’s Greatest Propagandists, Self-Promoters, Cult Leaders, Mischief Makers, and Boundary Breakers by Michael F. Schein
About the Author
Michael F. Schein is a writer, speaker, business owner, and hype artist. He’s the founder and president of MicroFame Media, a marketing agency that specializes in making idea-based companies famous in their fields.
Some of his clients have included eBay, Magento, Ricoh, LinkedIn, Citrix, and University of Pennsylvania (his alma mater – Go Quakers!).
His writing has appeared in Fortune, Forbes, Inc., Psychology Today, and Huffington Post, and he is a speaker for international audiences spanning from the northeastern United States to the southeastern coast of China.
And, interesting fact: he once started a rock band that later performed on national TV at Harlem’s Apollo Theater where he was booed off stage.
About the Book
Master the art and science of using shameless propaganda for personal and social good.
Influencers have always deployed the power of hype to get what they want. But never in history have people been so susceptible to propaganda and persuasion as they are now. Hype truly runs our world.
Imagine if you could generate and leverage hype for positive purposes―like legitimate business success, helping people, or effecting positive change in your community. Michael F. Schein teaches you how.
In The Hype Handbook, the notorious marketing guru provides 12 fundamental strategies for creating and leveraging hype for good, including ways to:
- Attract attention from people that matter
- Create a community of acolytes to further your cause
- Create an atmosphere of curiosity and intrigue
- Sell your message with the skill of a master
- Create a step-by-step “manifesto”
Citing the latest research in psychology, sociology and neuroscience, Schein breaks the concept of hype down into a simple set of strategies, skills, and techniques―and illustrates his methods through stories of the world’s most effective hype artists, including American propagandist Edward Bernays, Alice Cooper manager Shep Gordon, celebrity preacher Aimee Semple McPherson, Spartan Race founder Joe De Sena, and digital guru Gary Vaynerchuk.
Whatever your temperament, education, budget, background, or natural ability, The Hype Handbook delivers everything you need to apply the most powerful tools of persuasion for personal and business success.
Listen to the Interview…
- The Hype Handbook: 12 Indispensable Success Secrets From the World’s Greatest Propagandists, Self-Promoters, Cult Leaders, Mischief Makers, and Boundary Breakers by Michael F. Schein
- Michael F. Schein (website)
- Michael F. Schein (LinkedIn)
- The Click Moment: Seizing Opportunity in an Unpredictable World by Frans Johansson
- The Medici Effect, With a New Preface and Discussion Guide: What Elephants and Epidemics Can Teach Us About Innovation by Frans Johansson
- The Crowd: A Study of the Popular Mind by Gustave Le Bon
- Fantasyland: How America Went Haywire: A 500-Year History by Kurt Andersen
P.S. – If you have rated and reviewed the podcast on Apple Podcasts, please let me return the favor and mail you some Marketing Book Podcast bookmarks and laptop stickers. Just click here to provide your postal address (I’ll send it anywhere in the world)! ~Douglas Burdett, Host of The Marketing Book Podcast.
Don’t know how to leave an iTunes review? It’s easy – click here for simple instructions.