Decoded: The Science Behind Why We Buy (2nd Edition) by Phil Barden
About the Book
A groundbreaking exploration of purchasing behavior and its essential role in smarter marketing practices to benefit your organization
If you understand why people buy, you are already one step ahead in reaching out to them effectively with your products and services.
Decoded: The Science Behind Why We Buy offers a groundbreaking exploration into the science of purchasing.
The book specifically demonstrates why decision science has proven invaluable to the field of marketing by helping to explain purchasing behaviors.
Decoded delivers a practical framework and guidelines for applying science to the marketing practices you use every day.
As a marketing professional, you can look to this book for behavioral knowledge, timely case studies, and an understanding of methodologies.
You’ll gain advice on how to employ knowledge about behaviors for more effective brand management, from strategy to implementation to new product development.
You’ll also gain useful insight into the latest research on consumer motivations that lead to purchasing decisions. Learn more about what happens in the human brain as buyers make their choices.
This updated edition of Decoded provides new material that marketers can apply to informed, successful practices.
- Gain an understanding of the Jobs to Be Done (JTBD) approach
- Take a closer look at the Ferrero neuroscience study that supports JTBD
- See updated and relevant case studies of JTBD at work
- Discover how to engage customers through digital touchpoints
If you’re a marketing practitioner, an understanding of decision science will enhance your day-to-day work.
Decoded helps you see how science and marketing come together.
Immerse yourself in the science of why people buy and gain a stronger base of knowledge as you develop strategies, implement marketing plans, and meet customer needs through innovation.
About the Author
Phil Barden has over 25 years of client-side brand management experience (Unilever, Diageo, and T-Mobile). Whilst responsible for T-Mobile’s brand positioning and development around Europe he became a client of DECODE marketing consultancy and first encountered ‘decision science.’
DECODE’s work led to the Liverpool Street flash mob dance ad, which increased T-Mobile sales by 49%, and further work cut customer churn in half.
This epiphany led Phil to set up DECODE marketing in the United Kingdom.
Phil lectures on decision science for the IPA and APG Diplomas, various MBA and MSc programs and is a regular speaker at client and industry events.
And, interesting fact – at a corporate lunch years ago, Princess Diana sat next to him and gave him her dessert!
Listen to the Interview…
- Decoded: The Science Behind Why We Buy by Phil Barden (Amazon)
- Decoded (book website)
- Phil Barden (Decode Marketing)
- Phil Barden (LinkedIn)
- Phil Barden (Twitter)
- The 12 Powers of a Marketing Leader: How to Succeed by Building Customer and Company Value by Thomas Barta and Patrick Barwise (Marketing Book Podcast interview)
- Alchemy: The Dark Art and Curious Science of Creating Magic in Brands, Business, and Life by Rory Sutherland (Marketing Book Podcast interview)
- Evolutionary Ideas: Unlocking Ancient Innovation To Solve Tomorrow’s Challenges by Sam Tatam (Marketing Book Podcast interview)
- The Secret Lives of Customers: A Detective Story About Solving the Mystery of Customer Behavior by David Scott Duncan (Marketing Book Podcast interview)
- Thinking, Fast And Slow by Daniel Kahneman
- Predictably Irrational, Revised and Expanded Edition: The Hidden Forces That Shape Our Decisions by Dan Ariely
- How We Decide by Jonah Lehrer
- Strangers to Ourselves: Discovering the Adaptive Unconscious by Timothy Wilson
- Making up the Mind: How the Brain Creates Our Mental World by Chris Frith
- The Choice Factory: 25 Behavioural Biases That Influence What We Buy by Richard Shotton
- The Illusion of Choice: 16 ½ Psychological Biases That Influence What We Buy by Richard Shotton
- Marketing Malpractice: The Cause and the Cure by Clayton M. Christensen, Scott Cook, and Taddy Hall (HBR, 2005)
P.S. – If you have rated and reviewed the podcast on Apple Podcasts, please let me return the favor and mail you some Marketing Book Podcast bookmarks and laptop stickers. Just click here to provide your postal address (I’ll send it anywhere in the world)! ~Douglas Burdett, host of The Marketing Book Podcast.
Don’t know how to leave an iTunes review? It’s easy – click here for simple instructions