The Brand Positioning Workbook: A Simple How-To Guide To More Compelling Brand Positionings, Faster by Ulli Applebaum
About the Book
The Brand Positioning Workbook outlines an easy-to-follow roadmap on how to successfully position or re-position a brand for success in the marketplace.
The methodology described in this book is inspired by the analysis of over 1,200 case studies of effective brand building which led to the identification of the 26 universal and proven successful triggers of successful brand positionings.
After reading the book you will be able to:
- Understand the secrets behind successful brand positionings
- Identify and use the 26 proven success triggers for brand perception
- Apply a simple and proven brand positioning methodology that actually works
- Create brands that are attractive, sustaining, and compelling
The book invites you, through a series of inspiring questions, examples, and ideation exercises, to explore how the 26 success triggers, or a combination thereof, could be applied to her specific brand and help her create a truly differentiating and distinctive yet highly relevant brand positioning.
The outcome is a more rigorous and more creative exploration of all relevant positioning solutions at your disposal while requiring less time than more traditional positioning development methodologies.
This book is the right choice for you, if:
- You are working in a marketing department or a marketing agency
- You are studying or teaching marketing
- You are looking for a proven framework for creating compelling brand positioning
- You are about to position or re-position a brand for success in the marketplace
The Brand Positioning Workbook is packed with easy-to-follow exercises and useful examples that will inspire your own thinking and allow you to overcome the mental biases that typically prevent truly original thinking. It can be used by marketers alone or in groups at marketing agencies or client workshops.
The book can also be used to develop product concepts, messaging strategies, new product ideas, and even creative ideas!
About the Author
Ulli Appelbaum is an award-winning marketing and brand strategy consultant. He has held senior strategy roles in Europe and the US at some of the leading advertising agencies in the world including BBDO, Leo Burnett, Fallon Worldwide, and SapientNitro before starting his own brand research and strategy firm First The Trousers Then The Shoes Inc.
He has contributed to 7 Effies awards for marketing effectiveness and an Advertising Research Federation Ogilvy award for Excellence in Research and his insights and strategies have helped build brands including Wrigley, Mars, Harley Davidson, Hallmark, Nestle, Procter & Gamble, Chrysler, Unilever, Hallmark, Symantec, Siemens, and Land O Lakes.
He has blogged extensively for the Huffington Post, is a contributor to various trade publications in the US and Europe, and was a member of the Practitioner Council of the American Marketing Association.
And, interesting fact – He lives in Minneapolis, was born in Germany, lived in Africa his first 10 years, and then lived in Brussells and moved back to Germany when he was 25!
Listen to the Interview…
- The Brand Positioning Workbook: A Simple How-To Guide To More Compelling Brand Positionings, Faster by Ulli Applebaum (Amazon)
- Ulli Appelbaum (First The Trousers Then The Shoes)
- Ulli Appelbaum (LinkedIn)
- Ulli Appelbaum (Twitter)
- Can’t Sell Won’t Sell: Advertising, Politics and Culture Wars. Why Adland Has Stopped Selling and Started Saving the World by Steve Harrison (Marketing Book Podcast interview)
- Evolutionary Ideas: Unlocking Ancient Innovation To Solve Tomorrow’s Challenges by Sam Tatam (Marketing Book Podcast interview)
- What Customers Hate: Drive Fast and Scalable Growth by Eliminating the Things that Drive Business Away by Nicholas Webb (Marketing Book Podcast interview)
- Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion, New and Expanded by Robert Cialdini (Marketing Book Podcast interview)
- Obviously Awesome: How to Nail Product Positioning so Customers Get It, Buy It, Love It by April Dunford
- The Business of Expertise: How Entrepreneurial Experts Convert Insight to Impact + Wealth by David C. Baker (Marketing Book Podcast interview)
Cartoon courtesy of Paul Noth
P.S. – If you have rated and reviewed the podcast on Apple Podcasts, please let me return the favor and mail you some Marketing Book Podcast bookmarks and laptop stickers. Just click here to provide your postal address (I’ll send it anywhere in the world)! ~Douglas Burdett, host of The Marketing Book Podcast.
Don’t know how to leave an iTunes review? It’s easy – click here for simple instructions.