The Long Game: How to Be a Long-Term Thinker in a Short-Term World by Dorie Clark
About the Book
Your personal goals need a long-term strategy.
It’s no secret that we’re pushed to the limit. Today’s professionals feel rushed, overwhelmed, and perennially behind. So we keep our heads down, focused on the next thing, and the next, without a moment to breathe.
How can we break out of this endless cycle and create the kind of interesting, meaningful lives we all seek?
Just as CEOs who optimize for quarterly profits often fail to make the strategic investments necessary for long-term growth, the same is true in our own personal and professional lives.
We need to reorient ourselves to see the big picture so we can tap into the power of small changes that, made today, will have an enormous and disproportionate impact on our future success.
We need to start playing The Long Game.
As top business thinker and Duke University professor Dorie Clark explains, we all know intellectually that lasting success takes persistence and effort.
And yet so much of the relentless pressure in our culture pushes us toward doing what’s easy, what’s guaranteed, or what looks glamorous in the moment.
In The Long Game, she argues for a different path. It’s about doing small things over time to achieve our goals—and being willing to keep at them, even when they seem pointless, boring, or hard.
In The Long Game, Clark shares unique principles and frameworks you can apply to your specific situation, as well as vivid stories from her own career and other professionals’ experiences.
Everyone is allotted the same twenty-four hours—but with the right strategies, you can leverage those hours in more efficient and powerful ways than you ever imagined.
It’s never an overnight process, but the long-term payoff is immense: to finally break out of the frenetic day-to-day routine and transform your life and your career.
About the Author
Dorie Clark helps individuals and companies get their best ideas heard in a crowded, noisy world.
She has been named one of the Top 50 business thinkers in the world by Thinkers50, and was recognized as the #1 Communication Coach in the world by the Marshall Goldsmith Leading Global Coaches Awards, and one of the Top 10 Communications Professionals in the World by Global Gurus.
She consults and speaks for a diverse range of clients, including Google, the World Bank, Microsoft, Morgan Stanley, the Ford Foundation, the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, and Yale University.
A former presidential campaign spokeswoman, Dorie has been described by the New York Times as an “expert at self-reinvention and helping others make changes in their lives.” She is a frequent contributor to the Harvard Business Review, and she is quoted frequently in the worldwide media, including NPR, the BBC, and MSNBC.
And, interesting facts – she is a former journalist, a producer of a multiple Grammy-winning jazz album, and a graduate of Harvard Divinity School.
Listen to the Interview…
- The Long Game: How to Be a Long-Term Thinker in a Short-Term World by Dorie Clark (Amazon)
- Dorie Clark (website)
- Download the free Long Game Strategic Thinking Self-Assessment
- Dorie Clark Recognized Expert Program
- Dorie Clark (LinkedIn)
- Dorie Clark (Twitter)
- The Science of Customer Connections: Manage Your Message to Grow Your Business by Jim Karrh (Marketing Book Podcast interview)
- The Hype Handbook: 12 Indispensable Success Secrets From the World’s Greatest Propagandists, Self-Promoters, Cult Leaders, Mischief Makers, and Boundary Breakers by Michael F. Schein (Marketing Book Podcast interview)
- The Strategy Mindset 2.0: A Practical Guide To The Design and Implementation of Strategy by Dr. Chuck Bamford (Marketing Book Podcast interview)
- From Start-Up to Grown-Up: Grow Your Leadership to Grow Your Business by Alisa Cohn
Dorie Clark’s previous Marketing Book Podcast interviews:
- Reinventing You: Define Your Brand, Imagine Your Future (February 2015)
- Stand Out: How to Find Your Breakthrough Idea and Build a Following Around It (April 2015)
- Entrepreneurial You: Monetize Your Expertise, Create Multiple Income Streams, and Thrive (October 2017)
P.S. – If you have rated and reviewed the podcast on Apple Podcasts, please let me return the favor and mail you some Marketing Book Podcast bookmarks and laptop stickers. Just click here to provide your postal address (I’ll send it anywhere in the world)! ~Douglas Burdett, host of The Marketing Book Podcast.
Don’t know how to leave an iTunes review? It’s easy – click here for simple instructions.