Sell Without Selling Out: A Guide to Success on Your Own Terms by Andy Paul
About the Book
Forget everything you learned about selling.
Persuasion is not a sales skill―it’s a blunt instrument of last resort that sellers use when they don’t know how to influence the choices their buyers make.
It’s the weapon of choice for mindless, uninspired sellers: the sales zombies who have stopped learning and stopped improving.
Wouldn’t you rather learn how to master the art of selling in, by listening to what your buyers really want?
In Sell without Selling Out, global sales guru, top podcaster, and entrepreneur Andy Paul shows you how to take charge of your own career without selling out to outdated, ineffective sales methods.
He reveals the four Sell In pillars that are the indispensable instruments of selling: Connection, Curiosity, Understanding, and Generosity.
Everything else is mostly a combination of product features, technical specifications, and pricing, which your buyers can get from the Internet. What they seek (and deserve) can only come from you: the human seller.
If you’ve been told you need to be more “salesy” to get ahead in your career, you need this book.
About the Author
From the author’s website…
I’ve been in sales for over four decades. My first sales job was selling women’s shoes at JC Penney. In my professional career, I’ve sold everything from computers to small businesses to complex communications systems that sold for tens of millions of dollars to some of the world’s largest enterprises. I closed hundreds of millions of dollars in products and services before starting my own company.
I was not a typical salesperson. I’m a bit of an introvert. My first employer didn’t think I’d ever succeed because they believed I was “too analytical.” I was a history major in college yet I spent most of my career flying around the world selling complex technical products to enterprises on every continent but Antarctica.
I’ve grown and managed large sales teams from scratch. I’ve coached average performers into being top producers.
And, yet, every new position I took on in my career presented a challenge and required that I re-invent myself. I had to educate myself about new technologies, new solutions, new products, new customers, and their unique requirements. Every single day I had to take the responsibility to make myself smarter and better. There was no training that would do that.
It was this experience of assuming responsibility for my own career education; of using day-to-day learning to power my way to whatever successes I achieved, that inspired me to start my own company in 2000. Since then I’ve been on a mission to educate sales leaders and sales professionals about the power of continuous learning to transform how they perform.
I’m #8 on LinkedIn’s list of the Top 50 Global Sales Experts to follow. More than 170,000 people have signed up to follow the advice I share there. My podcast, Accelerate Your Sales!, is on the top of every list of the best sales podcasts with over 2 million downloads to date, and was on INC Magazine’s list of the top leadership podcasts. My two award-winning books, Zero-Time Selling and Amp Up Your Sales, were both Amazon best-sellers.
And, you know what? Even today, with all my experience, I’ll be the first to admit that I still don’t know everything I need to know about sales. I’m still learning and perfecting my craft every single day.
Listen to the Interview…
- Sell Without Selling Out: A Guide to Success on Your Own Terms by Andy Paul (Amazon)
- Andy Paul (website)
- Andy Paul (LinkedIn)
- Andy Paul (Twitter)
- From Impossible to Inevitable: How SaaS and Other Hyper-Growth Companies Create Predictable Revenue (2nd Edition) by Aaron Ross and Jason Lemkin (Marketing Book Podcast interview)
- Sell the Way You Buy: A Modern Approach To Sales That Actually Works (Even On You!) by David Priemer (Marketing Book Podcast interview)
- Sales Differentiation: 19 Powerful Strategies to Win More Deals at the Prices You Want by Lee Salz (Marketing Book Podcast interview)
- Sell Different!: All New Sales Differentiation Strategies to Outsmart, Outmaneuver, and Outsell the Competition by Lee Salz (Marketing Book Podcast interview)
- Against Empathy: The Case for Rational Compassion by Paul Bloom
- Eat Their Lunch: Winning Customers Away from Your Competition by Anthony Iannarino (Marketing Book Podcast interview)
- A Guide to Buyer Enablement (Gartner)
- The Coaching Habit: Say Less, Ask More & Change the Way You Lead Forever by Michael Bungay Stanier
- The Trusted Advisor (20th Anniversary Edition) by David Maister, Robert Galford, and Charles Green
- Elite Sales Strategies: A Guide to Being One-Up, Creating Value, and Becoming Truly Consultative by Anthony Iannarino
- The Sales Blog (Anthony Iannarino)
- The Pop-up Pitch: The Two-Hour Creative Sprint to the Most Persuasive Presentation of Your Life by Dan Roam
- Hello, My Name Is Awesome: How to Create Brand Names That Stick by Alexandra Watkins (Marketing Book Podcast interview)
- How Salesy Are You? (Quiz)
- Book Bonuses (including the 5-Week Selling In Challenge and the Selling In Implementation Playbook)
P.S. – If you have rated and reviewed the podcast on Apple Podcasts, please let me return the favor and mail you some Marketing Book Podcast bookmarks and laptop stickers. Just click here to provide your postal address (I’ll send it anywhere in the world)! ~Douglas Burdett, host of The Marketing Book Podcast.
Don’t know how to leave an iTunes review? It’s easy – click here for simple instructions.