The Widest Net: Unlock Untapped Markets and Discover New Customers Right in Front of You by Pamela Slim
About the Book
Discover and create a dynamic new model for growing your business by connecting with customers outside your usual field of view.
Do you think you know your ideal customer? Think again.
Many businesses create an ideal consumer profile―aiming all their sales and marketing efforts towards this single type of person―and end up missing out on endless opportunities to sell their services or products.
Award-winning business coach, speaker, and author Pamela Slim has helped thousands of entrepreneurs around the world start, sustain, and scale their businesses.
In The Widest Net, she explains how to build strong diverse relationships, identify and connect with new partners, expand markets, generate leads, and find new customers in places you may never have considered.
Social media is a valuable business tool, but it can often create a comfortable cocoon for entrepreneurs, marketers, and leaders who all need to understand the entirety of the marketplace, not just their own social graph.
With this book as a guide, you’ll learn how to connect with potential clients and customers using the true breadth of the marketplace, which she calls an ecosystem of living connections.
The Widest Net shows how to:
- Search outside your own lens/bias/routine/history to target ideal customers.
- Attract the interest and attention of new leads by learning more about them authentically.
- Develop products and services suited to these customers.
- Sell through a trusted reciprocity framework where your customers become part of your ecosystem and you each help the other grow.
- Build and sustain loyalty and trust with new customers.
- Nurture a diverse and resilient customer base by identifying and adjusting to the ideal customer target over time.
About the Author
Pamela Slim is an author, business coach, and former corporate director of training and development at Barclays Global Investors.
Since 2005, Pamela has helped thousands of entrepreneurs around the world start, sustain, and scale their businesses. She has also worked with companies serving the small business market such as Progressive Insurance and Constant Contact.
In 2016, Pam and her husband Darryl co-founded the K’é Main Street Learning Lab in Mesa, Arizona, a grassroots, community-based think tank for small business economic acceleration.
Pamela is the author of Escape From Cubicle Nation: From Corporate Prisoner to Thriving Entrepreneur and Body of Work: Finding the Thread That Ties Your Story Together, both published by Penguin/Portfolio.
And, interesting facts – she is a certified home organizing show addict, and her favorite movie of all time is Moonstruck!
Listen to the Interview…
- The Widest Net: Unlock Untapped Markets and Discover New Customers Right in Front of You by Pamela Slim (Amazon)
- Pamela Slim (website)
- Pamela Slim (LinkedIn)
- Pamela Slim (Twitter)
- The Ultimate Marketing Engine: 5 Steps to Ridiculously Consistent Growth by John Jantsch (Marketing Book Podcast interview)
- Wise Guy: Lessons From A Life by Guy Kawasaki (Marketing Book Podcast interview)
- Everybody Writes: Your Go-To Guide to Creating Ridiculously Good Content by Ann Handley (Marketing Book Podcast interview)
- Momentum: How to Propel Your Marketing and Transform Your Brand in the Digital Age by Shama Hyder (Marketing Book Podcast interview)
- The Long Game: How to Be a Long-Term Thinker in a Short-Term World by Dorie Clark (Marketing Book Podcast interview)
- The Non-Obvious Guide to Virtual Meetings and Remote Work (When You Just Can’t Be There in Person) by Rohit Bhargava (Marketing Book Podcast interview)
- Talk Triggers: The Complete Guide to Creating Customers with Word of Mouth by Jay Baer & Daniel Lemin (Marketing Book Podcast interview)
- The Practice: Shipping Creative Work by Seth Godin (Marketing Book Podcast interview)
- Find Your Red Thread: Make Your Big Ideas Irresistible by Tamsen Webster (Marketing Book Podcast interview)
- Outbounding: Win New Customers with Outbound Sales and End Your Dependence on Inbound Leads by Skip Miller (Marketing Book Podcast interview)
- Beyond Product: How Exceptional Founders Embrace Marketing To Create And Capture Value For Their Business by Jill Soley and Todd Wilms (Marketing Book Podcast interview)
- The Transformational Consumer: Fuel a Lifelong Love Affair with Your Customers by Helping Them Get Healthier, Wealthier, and Wiser by Tara-Nicholle Nelson (Marketing Book Podcast interview)
- Atomic Habits: An Easy & Proven Way to Build Good Habits & Break Bad Ones by James Clear
- Art of the Start 2.0: The Time-Tested, Battle-Hardened Guide for Anyone Starting Anything by Guy Kawasaki
- Bird by Bird: Some Instructions on Writing and Life by Anne Lamott
- Sparked: Discover Your Unique Imprint for Work that Makes You Come Alive by Jonathan Fields
P.S. – If you have rated and reviewed the podcast on Apple Podcasts, please let me return the favor and mail you some Marketing Book Podcast bookmarks and laptop stickers. Just click here to provide your postal address (I’ll send it anywhere in the world)! ~Douglas Burdett, host of The Marketing Book Podcast.
Don’t know how to leave an iTunes review? It’s easy – click here for simple instructions.